MetLife sets itself apart by offering a comprehensive Group Life portfolio that addresses the needs of our three key audiences-Group Customer, Participant, and Beneficiary. MetLife's robust product portfolio provides multiple solutions to help employers offer the right benefits and employees to obtain adequate coverage today and as their needs evolve.
MetLife is the leading provider of Group Life benefits for over 25 years. We provide products and services to over 90 of the top 100 FORTUNE 500® companies, and 75% of all Fortune 500® companies2. MetLife serves approximately 21,000 Group Life customers, covering more than 28 million participants.3 Our financial strength and experience allow us to offer several group term life insurance options (based on individual state requirements).
One year renewable group term life insurance that provides a scheduled benefit or multiple of earnings amount to an employee’s beneficiary in the event of the employee's death.
Offers employees the opportunity to buy flexible amounts of life insurance at group rates. This option allows each individual to meet his/her need for additional amounts of insurance at little or no cost to the employer.
As an enhancement to our Basic Term Life plan, we offer Dependent Life insurance for employees who wish to purchase term life insurance for their spouses and/or children at group rates.
Provides 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year coverage for your employees in the event of severe injuries, paralysis or death resulting from accidents on or off the job.
MetLife has added new, valuable enhancements - Will Preparation and Estate Resolution ServicesSM - to our Supplemental Term Life Offering.
A number of MetLife Group Life's products and services provide a "living benefit" to employees today, and as their needs evolve.
- Portability4: Offered as an option on Group Term Life coverages, employees can take their coverage with them at group rates, avoiding a coverage gap if they experience a qualifying event.
- Accelerated Benefits Option (ABO)5: The Accelerated Benefits Option permits terminally ill insureds to receive a portion of their life insurance in advance to minimize the financial burden of medical and other expenses — up to 80% of the total insured amount.
- Waiver of Premium: Employers have the option to waive life insurance premiums for employees while they are unable to work, upon proof of a qualifying disability, and after the completion of 9 months of continuous disability.
- Will Preparation6: Participants and spouses can receive face-to-face Will Preparation services including preparing and updating a will, living will and power of attorney through Hyatt Legal Plans' nationwide network of more than 13,000 participating attorneys.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)7: Employees and their immediate families may receive confidential, professional counseling for behavioral, health and life issues.
- Grief Counseling8: Offered as an option on Basic Term coverage at no additional cost, Grief Counseling can help employees, their dependents, and their beneficiaries cope with a loss. It helps to provide the support, comfort, tools and services employees need to get back to a productive life – at work and home.
- MetLife Center for Special Needs Planning9: A program that provides a variety of planning services to families with special-needs children and dependents.
- Travel Assistance10: Travel Assistance offers employees and their families access to emergency services while traveling domestically or internationally. Services include:
- Toll-free 800#, where service providers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Emergency services, including medical assistance, hospital admission coordination and critical evacuation.
- Non-emergency services, such as help with visa and/or passport requirements, financial assistance and locating lost luggage.
- Identity Theft Solutions10: Identity Theft Solutions educates employees on preventing an identity theft occurrence. In addition, it provides personal assistance and guidance to help alleviate the stress and time burden that victims often face. Employees are provided with:
- Education, including the Identity Theft Risk & Prevention tool kit and resolution guide.
- Personal Guidance, including advice for filing and obtaining police and credit reports, contacting creditor fraud departments and taking inventory of lost or stolen items.
- Toll-free 800#, where service providers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We provide not only the claims service that beneficiaries need and expect in their time of need, but we have also created programs to support them in making important financial and personal decisions.
- The Total Control Account (TCA)12: A life settlement option that helps beneficiaries manage life insurance proceeds and provides easy access to their funds.
- Delivering the Promise: Professional and caring services for beneficiaries who have financial questions and personal needs for assistance and information.
- MetLife Estate Resolution Services: Allows the executor of the estate access to in person legal advice and consultation when settling the insured's estate.
- MetLife’s Funeral Planning Guide: Provides employees with a resource to help them document their final wishes and important financial information. It also provides valuable information including: how to plan for funeral costs, the death claim process, personal funeral preferences and more.
Download the Funeral Planning Guide
- Waiver of Premium: Disabled employees may qualify to have their life insurance premiums waived while they are unable to work.
Like most group life insurance policies, MetLife group policies contain exclusions, limitations, reductions of benefits and term for coverage. Please contact us for costs and complete details.
1A.M. Best's Statement File, 2012.
2FORTUNE 500, 2012. FORTUNE 500® is a registered trademark of FORTUNE® magazine, a division of Time, Inc.
3MetLife Internal Customer Data, as of December 2012.
4 Subject to state availability. To take advantage of this benefit, coverage of at least $10,000 must be elected.
5 The Accelerated Benefits Option (ABO) is subject to state regulation and is intended to qualify for favorable federal income tax treatment, in which case the benefits will not be subject to federal taxation. This information was written as a supplement to the marketing of life insurance products. Tax laws relating to ABO benefits are complex and limitations may apply. Employees should be advised to consult with and rely on an independent tax advisor about their own particular circumstances. Receipt of ABO benefits may affect employees' eligibility, or that of their spouse or family, for public assistance programs such as medical assistance (Medicaid), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Supplementary Social Security Income (SSI) and drug assistance programs. Employees are advised to consult with social service agencies concerning the effect that receipt of ABO benefits will have on public assistance eligibility.
6 Will Preparation and Estate Resolution Services are offered by Hyatt Legal Plans, Inc., a MetLife company, Cleveland, Ohio. In certain states, legal services benefits are provided through insurance coverage underwritten by Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Warwick, Rhode Island. For New York sitused cases, the Will Preparation service is an expanded offering that includes office consultations and telephone advice for certain other legal matters beyond Will Preparation.
7 Employee Assistance Program services provided through an agreement with MHN, Inc. MHN, Inc. is not an affiliate of MetLife and the services they provide are separate and apart from the insurance and/or services provided by MetLife.
8 Grief Counseling services are provided through an agreement with Harris, Rothenberg International (HRI), Inc. HRI is not an affiliate of MetLife and the services HRI provides are separate and apart from the insurance provided by MetLife.
9 MetLife Center for Special Needs Planning: Investment advisory services offered by MetLife Securities, Inc., 1095 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036.
10Travel Assistance and Identity Theft Solutions services are administered by AXA Assistance USA, Inc. Certain benefits provided under the Travel Assistance program are underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company, a member of the Crum & Forster group of insurers. AXA Assistance and the Crum & Forster group are not affiliated with MetLife, and the services and benefits they provide are separate and apart from the insurance provided by MetLife.
11WillsCenter.com is a document service provided by SmartLegalForms, Inc., an affiliate of Epoq Group, Ltd. SmartLegalForms, Inc. is not affiliated with MetLife and the WillsCenter.com service is separate and apart from any insurance or service provided by MetLife. The WillsCenter.com service does not provide access to an attorney, does not provide legal advice, and may not be suitable for your specific needs. Please consult with your financial, legal, and tax advisors for advice with respect to such matters.
12Subject to state law, and/or group policyholder direction, the Total Control Account is provided for all Life and AD&D benefits of $5,000 or more. The TCA is not insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any government agency. The assets backing TCA are maintained in MetLife's general account and are subject to MetLife's creditors. MetLife bears the investment risk of the assets backing the TCA, and expects to earn income sufficient to pay interest to TCA Accountholders and to provide a profit on the operation of the TCAs. Guarantees are subject to the financial strength and claims-paying ability of MetLife.
Group Term Life is issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 200 Park Ave., New York, NY 10166. Policy Form GPNP99.