With over 140 years of experience, MetLife is a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. We have established a strong presence in over 50 countries through organic growth, acquisitions, joint ventures and other partnerships. We work with families, corporations and governments to provide them with solutions that offer financial guarantees in their lives. Our name is recognized and trusted by 90 million customers worldwide and over 90 of top 100 FORTUNE 500® companies in the United States. We have the experience, global resources and vision to provide financial certainties for an uncertain world.
Are you looking to start your sales career with a challenging and results-driven training program?
Our Sales Academy is a salaried, 12-month comprehensive training program that will prepare you for your account executive role by giving you the confidence and competence to excel. The sales training program includes a combination of structured classroom and on-the-job learning focused on building an understanding of risk management, the employee benefits industry, MetLife’s group, voluntary and worksite benefits, and professional selling skills. In addition, there will be a team of individuals dedicated to your training, including your manager, an account executive mentor and sales leadership.
Highlights of MetLife’s Sales Academy:
- Dedicated account executive mentor
- Weekly webinars - learn from the experts and apply newly developed skills
- Series of in-person training sessions with sales trainees across the country
- Travel to regional sales offices for greater exposure and development opportunities
- Sales skills training - including interactive role plays, presentation, communication and negotiation skill building
- Opportunities to share best practices and network with other account executives, sales leaders and sales trainees
Unlike some insurance sales positions that are focused on individual or retail business, this is a business to business sales role. Your customers will be employer groups or other organizations seeking to provide a benefits package to their employees. In this role, you will partner closely with brokers and consultants to provide the right benefit solutions that meet the needs of the customer.
What does a typical week look like as a sales trainee?
Each week will vary, but overall you can expect to:
- Participate in Sales Academy learning curriculum, including conference calls, webinars, in-person meetings, activities or other assignments
- Participate in weekly sales team meetings alongside account executives and sales leadership
- Engage in weekly meetings with his/her account executive mentor
- Job shadow with his/her account executive mentor or other account executives, including attending meetings with customers or brokers/consultants, making cold calls, facilitating enrollment meetings or benefit fairs
- Regional sales office visits for increased exposure and additional development opportunities
What is the best part of this job/most fulfilling?
- Embarking on a focused career path with a company invested in your future success
- Gaining product knowledge and soft skills required to excel in an account executive role through successful completion of the training program
- Opportunity to build relationships and share best practices with other sales trainees, account executives, and sales leadership
- Dedicated account executive mentor
- Opportunity for exposure and recognition based on performance within Sales Academy
How is success measured in this role?
- Successful completion of the Sales Academy
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, position and deliver knowledge gained through training
- Effective relationships built both internally and externally
What can I expect after training?
Upon completion of the program, you will have the opportunity to interview for open territories across the country within MetLife’s Group, Voluntary & Worksite Sales organization. You will transition into an account executive role with an opportunity to earn incentive compensation above your base salary. Along with business goals, you will inherit a book of business to maintain and will begin building relationships with the brokers and customers within your territory.
The Sales Academy program will become the foundation on which you will build your career. You will develop relationships during your first year of training that will serve as your network of supporters for many years to come. This training program will provide you with all the knowledge, tools and skills you need to transition into your sales territory and succeed in the marketplace. It's up to you to put them into action and become a leader in our sales organization.
Good luck with the interview process. I look forward to the possibility of meeting you.
Recruiting for Sales Academy is annual. We hire each class of sales trainees with a summer start date, so we begin our recruiting in the fall and continue our hiring into the spring until our trainee class is full. Below is an overview of the annual recruiting schedule.September – November 2013
Fall on-campus recruiting – including career fairs, information sessions, classroom visits and on-campus interviews
Application process begins; steps include - phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with program coordinator and/or phone interview with sales director, and a series of final round interviews in a MetLife sales office.December 2013
Fall offer letters are sent for a June start dateJanuary – March 2014
Spring on-campus recruiting – including career fairs, information sessions, classroom visits and on-campus interviews
Application process begins; steps include - phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with program coordinator and/or phone interview with sales director, and a series of final round interviews in a MetLife sales office.April 2014
Spring offer letters are sent for a June start dateJune 2014
Sales Trainees begin employment at MetLife
All MetLife employment opportunities are posted on our careers website. You can search for available Sales Trainee positions, and apply online by selecting the location that you are most interested in pursuing. Please note that we fill our positions on a seasonal basis and positions are not available year-round.How can I send in my resume to MetLife?
To maximize your chances of success, we would encourage you to apply directly to an advertised open position. All applicants must apply through the careers website to be considered for any position.How will I know if my application has been received?
You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your application after you successfully submit your application. This will be sent to the email address you have given us.When will interviews for student hires occur?
Please see the Recruiting Timeline section of our website as our teams recruit at a variety of times throughout the year.What is the interview process for the Sales Trainee Position?
MetLife has formalized the campus recruiting interview process to ensure consistency, competitiveness and ability to secure top campus talent nationwide. First round interviews and hires begin at selected schools during the fall semester and continue into the spring. Selected candidates from first round on–campus interviews and phone screens will be invited in for on–site final round interviews based on available positions and hiring manager interest.Do I need to be a student to apply?
No. MetLife is interested in individuals with diverse experiences and interests who are looking to start their sales career. If you have recently graduated or are looking to start your career in Group, Voluntary & Worksite Sales, we encourage you to apply to our program in the ‘Training Locations’ tab.What kinds of benefits does MetLife offer?
MetLife offers its employees competitive benefits packages. For more detailed benefit information, please visit our Benefits Page.
MetLife is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of MetLife to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law.