You should name a beneficiary for your MetLife insurance coverage(s). This ensures that MetLife will distribute the policy proceeds the way you want after your death.
If you don’t name a beneficiary, or if your beneficiary passes away before you, your life insurance proceeds will be paid in accordance with the Facility of Payment as outlined in your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for Life benefits, listed below in the following order:
- Your spouse;
- Your child(ren);
- Your parent(s);
- Your siblings; or
- Your Estate
We encourage you to take a few minutes to review your beneficiary designations, especially after a life event, such as marriage, divorce, birth of a child, etc.
What you need to do:
Please complete the steps below to name or update your beneficiaries through MetLife’s MyBenefits website as soon as possible:
- Gather the following information about each of your beneficiaries
- For individuals, you need the beneficiary's full name, full address, phone number and date of birth.
- For trusts, you need the trust name, address, phone number and trust date.
- Visit MyBenefits website and enter ‘State of Maryland’ as the Company Name
- Log in to your account by entering your username and password. First time users will need to click “Register Now” to choose a username and password and to establish security questions.
- After you log in, choose Group Life insurance. At the top of the page, choose the link for ‘Beneficiaries’.
- Enter details about each of your beneficiaries
- Print a copy of your completed beneficiary information for your records.
Changes to your beneficiary are effective immediately. You will also receive an electronic confirmation notice, which allows you to easily print a paper copy of your designations for your records.
If you don’t have access to the internet, contact MetLife at 1-866-574-2863 and request a Beneficiary Designation Form.