Read our latest Sustainability Report
for more information on MetLife’s initiatives and progress.
1. The Net Zero commitment applies to GHG emissions from MetLife, Inc.’s global owned and leased offices and vehicle fleets, employee business travel, supply chain and assets in MetLife’s General Account investment portfolio, which includes the general accounts of MetLife, Inc.’s wholly owned insurance company subsidiaries, where reliable data and methodologies are available. While reliable methodologies and data sets pertaining to certain GHG emissions are not available at this time, MetLife is committed to identifying and measuring relevant climate data as methodologies and standards evolve. Emissions are tracked in accordance with the GHG Protocol , unless otherwise directed by regulators. Additional information about MetLife’s General Account investment portfolio is available here.
2. MetLife’s carbon neutrality efforts apply to global owned and leased offices, global vehicle fleets (Scope 1 and 2 emissions) and employee business travel (Scope 3 Category 6).
3. The inventory of GHG emissions from Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 business travel in 2022 for MetLife has been verified by Quantis, an independent third-party entity, according to ISO 14064-3. Please see the full statement for more information.
4. Starting with the 2022 report year and going forward, MetLife’s estimation methodology will be based on reporting-year average intensity actual values for electricity and natural gas. In previous years, the estimation factors used were static year to year and were developed based on actual values from 2015. The new factors more accurately reflect energy efficiency efforts as well as hybrid work schedule for many office occupants.
5. Includes Renewable Energy Certificates, and market-based global emissions were calculated historically.
6. Converted to Global Business Travel, extrapolated historically where necessary due to limited data.