METLIFE RELEASES ANNUAL CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY REPORT
NEW YORK, June 21, 2017
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) today announced the release of the company's annual corporate responsibility report, which highlights how it manages Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues and makes a positive impact on society and the economy.
The report, titled Global Impact, includes information on MetLife's leadership on climate issues and social impact investing as well as our efforts to make our products more accessible and easier to use, enhance customer service, and improve employee wellness. It also details our accomplishments in workplace diversity and MetLife Foundation's work to improve financial inclusion. For the first time, the report also provides a progress update on the ESG goals and commitments established in last year's report.
"For nearly 150 years, MetLife has managed its business with a commitment to being a responsible corporate citizen, and communicating about our ESG activities is one of the many ways we continue to set a high bar for ourselves," said Mike Zarcone, MetLife executive vice president and head of Corporate Affairs.
Some of MetLife's corporate responsibility activities and accomplishments in 2016 included:
- Named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index – North America (DJSI) for the first time. The DJSI is a widely recognized standard for corporate responsibility that tracks leading sustainability-driven companies. MetLife is one of only eight insurers in North America to appear on the index.
- Recognized with a Climate Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for the company's ambitious greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. MetLife pledged to become carbon neutral by the end of 2016, a goal we have achieved.
- Received a grade of "A minus" from CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) for reporting and management of climate issues. This rating places MetLife in CDP's top quartile "Leadership" category among financial services providers.
- Named to the first ever Bloomberg Financial Services Gender-Equality Index.
- Recognized by Deloitte and the Alliance for Board Diversity for having one of the most diverse boards of any company in the Fortune 500.
- MetLife and MetLife Foundation made $48 million in grants, including $30 million for financial inclusion efforts that help low-income individuals and families get access to safe and affordable financial products and services.
Global Impact is prepared in accordance with the latest guidelines published by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the nonprofit organization that sets the standard for sustainability reporting. The GRI Guidelines provide a globally recognized framework for companies to measure and communicate their environmental, economic, social and governance performance. By using this framework, MetLife joins thousands of companies around the world in quantifying the benefits and impacts of its business activities.
This year, we are providing an Overview summarizing our efforts along with a more detailed full report. To view either the Overview or the full report, and to learn more about MetLife's corporate responsibility activities, please visit www.MetLifeGlobalImpact.com.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates ("MetLife"), is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, MetLife is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Serving approximately 100 million customers, MetLife has operations in nearly 50 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.