AUTO & HOME
Safety Tips For Shopping On Black Friday And Cyber Monday
Keep yourself, your belongings and your identity protected this year.
Looking to snag a deal on Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Don’t forget to keep safety in mind as you shop. These tips can help:
Shopping In-Store on Black Friday
Big crowds may elicit some extra caution. Keep the following in mind:
- Safety in the Parking Lot
- Park in a well-lit area. Bright light helps deter thieves.
- Lock your car and keep valuables from plain sight.
- Drive slowly in parking lots, as they may be busy with other shoppers and cars.
- Safety in Line
- Don’t rush or push others as you approach the store.
- Follow all signage and store guidelines.
- If you’ll be waiting outside for a store to open, dress appropriately. Layers will help keep you warm and allow you to shed clothing once you’re inside.
- Safety from Theft
- Conceal your purchases in your trunk or under the car seat. The chance of theft is lower if objects are out of sight.
- Keep your wallet in your front or jacket pocket, and keep your handbag close to you.
- Only purchase as much as you can comfortably carry. Struggling through the parking lot gives thieves an advantage because you are distracted and can’t maintain a strong hold on all of your items.
Shopping Online on Cyber Monday
Even if you prefer the comfort of your own home, you’ll want to stay alert. Update your browser before you get started to ensure you’re using the latest security features.
- Site Security
- Make sure the URL of the payment page leads with “https.” The “s” lets you know your information is encrypted.
- Information Security
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card. Credit cards have a spending limit and aren’t linked directly to your bank account.
- If you make an online account, use a strong password that mixes letters, numbers, and symbols at random.