Texas Voluntary Paid Family Leave
Texas has passed HB 1996, which is a new voluntary law to support paid family leave insurance under Chapter 1255 called Group Family Leave Insurance.
The insurance commissioner may pass regulations to support this new statute.
Coverage Options: Voluntary fully insured paid family leave benefits will be available for insurance carriers to offer as a rider to a short-term disability policy or as a standalone policy.
- Not less than 2 weeks for every covered circumstance of 52 consecutive calendar weeks.
- The length of family leave insurance benefits available for each covered circumstance, may not be less than 2 weeks during a period of 52 consecutive calendar weeks.
Absence reasons: Family leave insurance may replace all or part of an employee’s income loss due to the following events:
- Birth of a child or adoption of a child by the employee
- Placement of a child with the employee for foster care
- Care of a family member of the employee who has a serious health condition
- Circumstances arising out of the fact that the employee's family member who is a service member is on active duty or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty
- Care of a family member of the employee who has a serious health condition due to their military service
Contributions: Voluntary offering. No mandatory payroll contributions to support a state program.
May 25, 2023 – Governor signed
September 1, 2023 – statute effective date
As of July 12, 2023