Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (WA PFML)

Washington

Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (WA PFML)

Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (WA PFML)

The Washington Paid Family and Medical Leave (WA PFML) program started paying benefits in January 2020. Wage replacement benefits are payable to WA workers for medical leave (ML) if they are unable to work due to non-work-related injury or illness, including pregnancy and childbirth, or for paid family leave (PFL), if they need time off work to care for a seriously ill family member, to bond with a new child, and to address a military exigency.

Coverage Options: Employers can participate in the state-run program or self-insure the PFL or PML coverages with a voluntary plan. MetLife provides administrative services for employers who have state approved voluntary plans.

Job Protection: The WA PFML coverage is job protected. When applicable, a worker should request leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) concurrently.

Benefits:

  • $1,327 maximum per week
  • 12 weeks of paid leave to care for oneself or a family member
  • 16 weeks total for both family and medical events in a year
  • Up to 18 weeks combined medical and family (child bonding) for complications due to pregnancy
  • $1,327 maximum per week ($1,427 in 2023)

2022 Contributions:

  • The contribution rate is 0.6% of an employee's wage up to $147,000 with a maximum contribution of $882.00 per year
  • Paid Family Leave can be 100% employee paid (payroll deducted) and Paid Medical Leave can be split between the employee (payroll deducted) up to 45% and the employer contributing the rest (55%)

2023 Contributions:

  • The contribution rate is 0.8% of an employee's wage up to $160,200 with a maximum contribution of $1,281.60 per year
  • Paid Family Leave can be 100% employee paid (payroll deducted) and Paid Medical Leave can be split between the employee (payroll deducted) up to 45% and the employer contributing the rest (55%)

As of November 1, 2022

What is Paid Family & Medical Leave?

Materials

WA PFML Statutory Leave Benefit Guide View
WA PFML Website Visit
PFML Employer Notice to Employee View

The information presented on this website is not legal advice and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. It is not permissible for MetLife or its employees or agents to give legal advice. The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and does not purport to be complete or to cover every situation. You must consult with your own legal advisors to determine how the specific state’s Paid Family and Medical/Disability Leave law(s) will affect you.